Wednesday 10 April 2013

Don't Take Away the Books!


This is my response to an article on the Telegraph entitled, "Catcher in the Rye dropped from US school curriculum."As the article puts it, "Schools in America are to drop classic books such as Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird and JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye from their curriculum in favour of 'informational texts'."

English class is not the place to learn about how to insulate buildings. English class is the chance to learn how to express yourself, and learn how others express themselves. For as long as I can remember, reading novels has been my favourite part of English class. As a student who loves reading, but barely finds the time to go out and get a book, English was a fantastic excuse to immerse myself into another world for a few minutes a day. The emotions and feelings that came along with the brilliant mental images still stay with me, and affect me today. I can remember all sorts of small passages from books like Catcher in the Rye and Death of a Salesman. Although many may consider fiction a waste of time, it’s actually a very beneficial tool to our development as people. While reading, we take on another person’s life, and experiences.

If you'd like to read the article, click here.
            

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing EricG, I couldn't agree with you more. I too enjoyed reading the assigned novels in English class. It provides for a much needed escape at times, that we don't always have as students through other activities. I really liked your hook for your post, "English class is not the place to learn about how to insulate buildings." It was a great way to gain attention to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the fact that I too enjoy reading, but also have the problem of actually picking up a book. In english class you do not have a choice, you have to read the novels you are assigned. I think its great like you said " a fantastic excuse to immerse myself into another world for a few minutes a day". Im glad that you can still imagine the mental images to this day, obviously you can connect easily to these pieces of literature. Great job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I was sent to this blog by my grade 10 English teacher, Ms. Mastramonico, at St. Thomas of Villa nova. Your blog expresses some great opinions. I too find that English class is the only time I find to actually read and enjoy a book. I recently read The Catcher In The Rye, although I wasn't exited for it at first, it turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read. It would be a shame if it was removed from the curriculum. I think that fiction is what really makes English class exciting. Having the opportunity to dissect characters and be able to see why they act the way they do is, and always has been my favorite part of English class. If "informational texts" would be to replace fictional pieces English class would definitely loose its pizazz and probably feel like a second history class to most students. Reading through your blog has been a pleasure, I'm glad there are others that think like me.

    ReplyDelete